Saturday, July 17, 2010

Happy 17th, Nolan!!

(Well, here I am with another birthday post...and NONE in between. :(  So much for me gettin' back into the blogging-swing...)

Nolan, how can it be?  17 years ago at 3:08 am you came into this world on a sweltering summer day just like today, and have been nothing but a joy since.  That seems like yesterday, and yet here you are, standing 6'4" and a young man...it's an odd thing for a mom to see her "baby" so big.  But surpassing your size is your heart.  I am so proud to be your mom, Nolan Christian!  So proud of the daily choices I see you making.  You know who you are, and you stand firm in your convictions.  You have always been mature beyond your years.  I love your tender heart. Your heart of mercy and forgiveness.  I love your compassion, and empathy.  Your ability to find humor in everything.  In you, I see astonishing strength and resolve.  I love how you are a free spirit...how you "do what you love; love what you do."  I love how you could care less about the "in" things, rather decide for yourself what is "in" for you.  I love your independent nature...how you embrace the unknown, and take the plunge into "adventure" without looking back.  I love how material things are meaningless to you. I love your mentoring-spirit, and how you take your "example" seriously.  I love that you know little ones' eyes are upon you, and walk humbly in that role.  I love how you call me "Mama."  I love how appreciative you are of a fine meal, and especially a home-cooked one.  I love how you seek out wisdom from others and are able to discern the wise.  I love how you listen. You're an imitator of God.  Honest.  You are a man of your word. I love the conscientious student you are, and how you welcome the hard stuff and excel in it.  More than that, I love that you're a student of God's Word. I respect you for how you daily seek the Lord, and slow down enough to know from Where your strength comes.  I respect your sense of self-discipline.  You are equipped for greatness.  I love how you live in the moment...and make moments count. I'm proud of the many ways I see you loving your brothers and sister.  Through Macy Li, I get a glimpse into your protective nature.  In you, she surely has much to emulate.  In our world, it's a gift when a parent can say they whole-heartedly trust their teen...and that we can say.  You are trust-worthy.  I love how you're a joy-spreader...how you light up a room...and a heart.  "Sunshine" is fitting ;) "Hurry" isn't in your vocabulary, and while that sometimes makes me crazy, it's a sign of your wisdom.  You make time for the important stuff of life.  You're unhindered by what is not.  I love the balance I see in your life.  You're patient and kind.  A deep well.  Precious.  And again, another jewel in my crown.  "I like you for always.  I'll love you forever.  As long as I'm living, my baby you'll be."  Happy Birthday, NoNo.  You are a treasure to your daddy and me.

Love,
Mom

"Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are sons born in one's youth."  ~Psalm 127:4

9 comments:

Jodee said...

Happy birthday to your sweet boy! Hope you have a great weekend!

Shelley said...

Rhonda, First of all Happy Birthday to Nolan! Secondly, I have to say what a fabulous woman you are! I only "know" you through this blog. I love to come and see what your family is up to and to see what that beautiful little Macy Li is up to. But your messages on here, they move me every time I read them. The beautiful and encouraging things you write to each of your children on here, they bring me to tears each time. Honestly, you are such an inspiration and I wanted to say thank you for that!

Kim said...

Happy Birthday Nolan.
You are an amazing young man..
I hope to meet you and your family one day..

Jboo said...

Hope he had a great birthday and you all did a lot of celebrating!
Your birthday letter is so sweet!

Janet

Jill said...

Rhonda- A post from a mama to her son could not be more beautifully written. It brought tears to my eyes! I hope both of my girls will be blessed enough to find boys like you are raising.
Happy Birthday Nolan! All 6'4" of you!! ;)

Anonymous said...

Although, I only know you and your family through this blog...it touches me what a loving and Godly family you are. It is so refreshing to see that in a world where so many families are not close or love the Lord.

Happy 17th Birthday Nolan! As a Mom of six, I know how fast our children grow up! My youngest two (twin girls) will be 16 in September! I can't believe it!!!

And, as a Mom of only one boy, I know what it means to have a son that loves God and as you said, Rhonda, trustworthy. It is such a joy!

Kim said...

You know what they say about apples? They don't fall far from the tree!
You and Phillip are raising some amazing arrows for His Kingdom!
I simply love your birthday posts and the glimpse into your Mama's heart!
Love & Blessings from the beach,
Kim

Unknown said...

Rhonda - you just made me smile from ear to ear! What awesome warriors of God you are raising! Beautiful tribute to your son! He is beautiful from the inside out!

Much love and happy birthday to you both!
Jill

The Quintessential Magpie said...

This is without a doubt one of the most loving tributes to a son I have EVER read! Your son is awesome because he has an awesome mother. Thank you for sharing this with all of us, too. It blessed me to read it.

XO,

Sheila :-)