Sunday, November 1, 2009

Happy Birthday Tyler!



19 years ago today, I became a mom.  How can that be?!  That seems like only yesterday and I surely don't feel old enough to have an almost-20 year old!

Anyway Tyler, my first-born :), you are loved beyond words!  You made us "Mom" and "Dad."  You have taught us much, and continue to enlighten and inspire us daily.  When you came into the world, you opened our eyes to the world beyond ourselves.  You've brought sunshine, joy, and so much laughter.  You've endured being the "guinea pig," that we've practiced parenting on.  You've been the recipient of most our parenting mistakes and still, in spite of the ragamuffins we are, continue to make us proud.  I love your tender ways, your open loving affection that you're always ready to give us.  I love the way you love your baby sister.  I love that you're a man of your word, that you will not speak negatively of others, that you are a lover of the unlovely.  I love how you love nature, and have since you were a wee little boy.  I love how you get up before dawn, head into the woods to hunt, then come home describing the wonder you found in the world waking up in the morning, the beauty of the sun rays, and all the little details of  nature that you never fail to notice.  I love the way you persevere in the hard stuff.  I love your humility about your "hidden" talents (although it drives me crazy that you're not sharing them with the world...hint hint!).  I love your singing and your never-ending whistling.  I even love those crazy animal calls.  Dr. Doolittle had nothing on you.  I miss your going to your bedroom window, opening it, then proceeding to literally call into our backyard owls (in the day-time), turkeys, deer, or just about anything you wanted to see!  Who can do that?!  I love that you forego a huge, fun event at school to drive all the way home just to watch Nolan play a football game, then turn around and drive all the way back.  I love your sweet smile.  I love your hilarious laugh.  I love the integrity you choose to walk in.  I love how you forgive.

In some ways, it seems like forever ago that you were that little blue-eyed, tow-headed baby boy and I was the inexperienced "deer in the headlights"-mom wondering what in the world I was doing.  But in the flash of a moment, here you are...all grown up, making your way into adulthood, and I can hardly believe my eyes every time you come home from college to visit.  God has uniquely gifted you in so many ways, Tyler, and we believe you are only just beginning to unlock some of the hidden treasures God has knitted within you.  "His eyes search to and fro, throughout the whole earth, to show Himself strong on behalf of the one who's heart is fully devoted to Him."  His favor is surely upon you, Tyler.

I hope your day was a happy one!  I missed your singing and whistling around here...and yes, even your dang laundry!  Happy Happy 19th Birthday!!!  I'm glad you were born ;)!

KISSHUG!
Mom

10 comments:

Kim said...

Happy 19th Birthday Tyler...
WOW.. it is truly amazing how fast these kids grow up..
I can't believe how much Nick has changed in the 2 days I have been with him..
Love ya girly..
Sorry I haven't been around..
Hugs..

Kim said...

What a sweet birthday post! My first born turns 7 on the 5th and I am also thinking where did the time go?

Jodee said...

Happy Birthday to your handsome guy! You just gotta love your first born! They truly teach us everything!

Hope you have a great week!

Missy said...

Precious post! Happy Birthday to your "always" baby boy :)

Kim said...

Happy Birthday Tyler!
We are grateful for the example your parents set!
Love & Blessings from Hong Kong,
Kim

Musings from Kim K. said...

What a lovely birthday post. Such a handsome young man. Here's to a splendid week ahead.

Shari U said...

A beautiful post. He sounds like a wonderful young man; how blessed you are to call him your son.

Jboo said...

What a sweet post to your birthday boy! He sounds like such a great son -- aren't you so proud!

Janet

Renee said...

This letter to Tyler is priceless. I know he will treasure those words of blessing in his heart! Happy belated birthday, Tyler! You have always and certainly continue to make your mama proud (and dad!) Keep walking with Jesus and pressing in to all He has in store for you!
Blessings!
Renee

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Happy 19th Birthday, Tyler, and may God richly bless you now and always.

From reading her blog, I know that your mother is an incredible woman, so it doesn't surprise me that you would be such an incredible young man.

Awesome, awesome tribute for a super guy!

XO,

Sheila :-)