Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Had To Put My Big-Girl's On Tonight!

It's true, I had to put my big-girls on tonight.  It was about 6:00 and I had just sat down to a long-overdue manicure after my shop/wrap/clean/decorate/party/send cards/and shop-some-more-A-Thon over the past couple of weeks.  I was spent and I was sooo looking forward to just sitting there (in a trance-like-state) and having my pitiful nails done.

Well, sure enough, I'd no longer sat down and refused a glass of wine (not sure why), than my phone rings and it's Nolan.....at Denver International Airport....in a practical blizzard....BUMPED off his flight home because it was....you guessed it....OVERSOLD!!!!!!!!!  (He'd been snow-boarding with KIVU friends out there for a few days.)  Well, I asked him what they were gonna do about it, and he said there were no more flights out to Nashville and that they would have to put him on the same flight tomorrow night....DECEMBER 24th, putting him in the skies along side Santa!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Well that was entirely unacceptable, and somebody was gonna have some 'xplainin' to do, so I told him to put the gate-agent on the phone, and the following is how my conversation with the smart-aleck went:

Agent:  "Hellooooo??"  (In a very sarcastic, out-done, ready-for-a-fight tone of voice)

Me:  "Hi, I'm Nolan's mother (in my best Steel-Magnolia tone of voice) and I understand that you've bumped him off his flight that we paid full-fare for, and he showed up 2 hours early for.  Care to tell me why?"

Agent:  "The flight was oversold."  (In a condescending tone)

Me:  "Well, that's always nice.  I love it when this happens.  Especially to my kids.  On Christmas Eve Eve!  During a blizzard!"

Agent:  "I'm sorry Ms."  (Yes, the battle-axe called me 'Ms'!)

Me:  "Oh, I'm sorry too.  The fact that you oversold this flight is YOUR problem, not ours'."

Agent:  "Well, it's oversold and there's nothing I can do about it."

Me:  "Excuse me?!  So we pay full-fare for this ticket, my son shows up 2 hours early, and your greedy airline bumps him off his flight, while you usher all these ADULTS onto the plane, and expect me to accept that you can do nothing about it?  This is the worst business practice!  Overselling flights is greed-driven and  NOT RIGHT!  This is the worst way to treat your customers..."

Agent:  (Interrupting me in a very monotone, snide, hateful, seething voice) "Ms., statistically speaking, we have no-shows so-in-so percent of the time, and statistically speaking, yada yada yada, and statistically speaking, some other ridiculous bull-crap....")

Me:  (Interrupting the statistician) "Well, I know a thing or two about statistics myself, MS!  So just let me give you a couple that might interest you:

#1--Statistically speaking, 100% of people who mess with my kids find themselves seriously regretful after they do.

#2--Tomorrow is Christmas Eve, and Christmas Eve breakfast is going to be served at Nannie's house at 10 o'clock, sharp.  I expect 100%, statistically speaking, of my offspring to be buttering their biscuits as soon as grace is said at 10:01, and that would include that good-looking 16-year-old standin' there in front of you!!

#3--I need to get back to this manicure, so I suggest you pick up that speaker and start offering up some pretty sweet deals to those ADULTS you chose to put on that plane in the middle of this blizzard, or there's about a ZERO PROBABILITY, statistically speaking, that you'll be experiencing any 'peace on earth' this Christmas!"

Well, a few hours later, our Nolan is at home, and we're all enjoying his stories of snow-boarding and the agent at the counter after she hung up from "Mama!"  ;)


Nolan is 2nd from right 




Here's hoping you and yours' have a very blessed Christmas!  Make it a "10," statistically speaking.





30 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yep, that's my wife.....I live with her and she has some pretty tough "Big Girl's" when she puts them on. Take my word for it.....No One wants to cross this Momma Bear!

Macy Li's Daddy

Hezra said...

Ha Ha ha ha! I am trying not to laugh and wake up kids. lol This is awesome! And now there can be peace on earth. *sigh* Steel Magnolias, UNITE! lol

Shari U said...

The Mama bear! I love it!! Glad you got your boy home safe and sound.

Anonymous said...

you are my hero! i laughed so hard that i just read your post to my family and my parents on this cold Christmas Eve. those agents better watch out for mama bears!

Andrea said...

:o) You Rock! Way to go mamma bear! Merry Christmas to you all.

Lori at JOY Unspeakable said...

Oh my statistical stars! You have got SPUNK!! That's hilarious beyond words.

Love the pics!

Anonymous said...

Dear Rhonda and family,

My name is Holly Nguyen. I live in Virginia. I was born and raised in Vietnam.

Thank you for sharing everything on your blog. I love every single thing on here... from your writing to Macy Li's pictures, her outfits, your boys' pictures...OMG, I love them all very much. I have followed your blog for a while, but never wanted to comment but I have got to break my rule today. Hahaha You are so smart! I will take this lesson with me at all times for future's use.
English is my second language so reading your blog is just like learning more Eng. from the Momma Bear. Thank you very much for this.
I also would like to thank you and your family for adopting Macy Li and giving her the most love and safest life.

I am very happy to see everyone here in America adopting from all over the world. I grew up to see a lot of children die in front of me because they live on the street. They have no food to eat, no medical care, and most importantly no loving families. I wanted to be a doctor when I was old enough to see what was going on in my country at the time.
After I came to America I tried very hard to get in to medical school here, but unfortunately I was very sick. I was at UVA premed and was almost done with my Biochem degree. I was in my 4th year and passed out a lot in class. The doctor told me that I had severe endometriosis.
I feel much better now after having kids. I went through 3 IVF cycles and finally God blessed me with a beautiful set of twin girls. My twins are 6 years old now. I just now went back to school. I hope to stay in the medical field again :)

I wish you and yours a very Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year.

Holly Nguyen

Rhonda said...

Holly, that just made me cry. Thank you.......ADOPTION, the real meaning of why Christ was born!!! AMEN and AMEN!! Bless you, Holly!

Jodee said...

You go girl! Way to get your sweet boy home for the holidays! The airlines are sooo annoying anymore!

Hope you have a great Christmas!

Love the comment from Macy's Daddy!

Eunice T. said...

Hi! I love reading your blog. I couldn't help but comment today! Way to go! I wonder how my mum would go about handling that! That was really cool how you got Nolan the flight back by telling her he had to be at breakfast by 10am. So, it's great you got home on time, Nolan! You've got a cool Mum!Hehe!

Renee said...

You are one more MAMA BEAR!! Love it! I am So glad you are and that Nolan is having breakfast with the fam at this very moment!! :)

Courtney said...

I loved reading this story this morning and I am glad to know that 100% of your family is sitting at the breakfast table. Enjoy your Christmas with 100% of your family!

Marie-Claude said...

Rhonda,

Way to go to that airline employee..sooo funny, I had to read it to my hubby and children. They all looked at me, and figured I would react the same! Only one way to go with our kids. :) As for the darling comment from the lady from Vietnam, brought me to tears. As a mother of bio kids and a darling gem from China, one cannot hope more families will adopt. It is so rewarding. My eldest daughter is convinced she will work abroad to help orphans and make the world understand these kids need to helped. Bless her! So from here, up north (St-Hyacinthe, suburd of Montreal) Merry Christmas and a healthy happy New Year to ya all (how is my southern accent :)

Marie-Claude

Missy said...

I'm skeeered of you, Momma Bear :) You go, girl! Way to bring that baby boy home!!! U r sooo funny!

Gigi and Grandy in Katy said...

Next time somebody messes with one of mine can I call you? I need to take lessons in "mama Bear!" I love it! So glad Nolan is home with the clan....I bet he ate more than his share of the biscuits!

Merry Christmas!

Becca said...

You go Mama Bear! Do whatever you gotta do to get those babies home!!!

Kim said...

I LOVE IT..
was reading this post out loud to the family.. and they said.. OMW.. that sounds like something you would do MOM...LOL>.
Love the photos..
have a MERRY CHRISTMAS..
Loveya..

Anonymous said...

Laughing my head off and can't wait to call my sister to let her know your latest post! We love your blog..as I have told you many times before. So glad to hear you got your boy home and let that agent have a few words of wisdom from the Momma Bear!
Merry Christmas to you and your family!
Sherry
(Ontario, Canada)

Kim said...

The picture had me curious, your words had me laughing. I am definatly calling you if I need helo in a sticky situation. I hope you are enjoying a very merry Christmas day!

jennifer said...

Good for you!!! Way to go mom!!!! Love it!
Merry Christmas!

Angie said...

Statistically speaking...that may be the funniest post ever! Glad you were all butterin' your biscuits at 10:01!

Jill said...

OMGoodness you CRACK ME UP! Good for you!
Glad you had a great Christmas with ALL your kiddos!
Best Wishes for a Happy New Year!!!

joyof3boys said...

Rhonda, you are too funny. I hope you all had a Merry Christmas. Thanks for the sweet Christmas card. All of your children are beautiful on the inside and out. Hope to see you all in 2010. Love, Carmen

Les said...

No words, Rhonda!! Next time I'm in a 3rd world country and need a little "big girl," I'm callin' you!

The Gang's Momma! said...

Roaring with laughter here. I LOVE it. I would love to read a follow-up of Nolan's account of the agent's behavior after she hung up. :)

Hope your family had a Merry Merry Christmas together. Ours was a 10!

Jodee said...

Thanks for sharing your bowling story with me tonight. What a hoot!

P.S. We live in Nebraska!

Rachel said...

You go girl - you tell that airline employee! I'm very impressed.

Thanks for visiting my blog! Your Macy is just a doll - looks like her and Lily could have some fun!

By the way, I'm really not that creative. The ornaments were a kit that I added some stuff I have aroudn the house and the gumdrop trees I read about years ago! The gumdrop trees are so fun - you should do them next year!

Happy New Year!

Unknown said...

You rock mama bear! Can I call you next time my flight is delayed/ overbooked or the airline loses my luggage? I'd love to have you in my corner!

Thanks for visiting Marlie and Me...Happy New Year!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Rhonda, are you my long lost sister??? I love it! I JUST love it! And I love how you wouldn't let "Ms." get away with bumping Nolan! LOL! I am convinced we are related, separated at birth somehow. Yes, I know you're younger, but God must have some sort of explanation. LOL!

Hope you had a great Christmas, and I pray all the blessings of the New Year for you and yours...

Happy! Happy! Happy 2010!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Bamawhitney said...

I love it and would have done the exact same thing!