Tuesday, May 27, 2008

"100 Good Wishes" Quilt




To welcome and celebrate a new life, there is a tradition in the northern part of China to make a Bai Jia Bei, or 100 Good Wishes Quilt. It is a custom to invite friends and family to contribute a patch of cloth with a wish for the baby. Part of the patch of cloth goes into the quilt for the baby, and the other part of the cloth can go into a creative memory notebook with the wish for the child (see above photos for examples of the "wish" or prayer. The quilt symbolizes the prayers and good wishes from all the families and friends who contributed a piece of fabric. The quilt is then passed down from generation to generation. Although this is a Chinese tradition, it is a great tradition for any child to be welcomed this way. What a treat to read the good wishes when the child is older and to know how much they were wanted and prayed for.

This is an example of a "100 Good Wishes" quilt:


If any of you would like to participate in this, it would thrill us to include your fabric in our special quilt for Macy. Just send a 10 inch square of fabric, along with your prayer or wish which also has a little sample of your fabric. If you need my address, please e-mail me or leave a comment at the bottom of this post. Thanks for being a part of this special tradition for Chinese children!

4 comments:

Amy Lafayett said...

I want to do a square for the quilt.

Unknown said...

I would love to! I need your address ASAP! I am really excited for you guys..and praying for the best!
Kara

Unknown said...

Ps..what size cloth do you want? I know NOTHING about quilts (except that I love them), so please be specific! I think this is sooo exciting!!!

Heather McCollum said...

I'm in! I'm so excited for you all! My face hurts from crying. Your blog has inspired me. This is the first blog I've ever looked at... I get it! I may even start one myself. God bless you and PRAISE GOD!!! Your testimony is so fun, you'll probably never know all the people you help open up their hearts to adopting.

Love you,
Heather