Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Maria Sue


Well, it was one week ago today that unspeakable tragedy struck our friends, the Chapman family. Little Maria Sue went to be with Jesus in heaven. Though we celebrate where she is, we all grieve alongside the Chapmans with their loss. This family has meant so much to us personally, and if it weren't for them, we would not be joining them in this "Great Adventure" called adoption. They, as you can read in "The Story of Macy", inspired, nudged, prayed for, sent "hints" in the mail, encouraged, challenged, and talked and talked and talked to us about adoption way back when. Mary Beth used to tell me that she was my "burning bush!" All throughout the process of bringing Shaoey, Stevey Joy, and Maria home, they continually assured us that "we were next." Even when we were flooded with doubt, they stood by us in faith, knowing that God was working on our hearts getting us ready to "Dive" in.

Today, I remember little Maria Sue and Stevey Joy hiding behind the draperies in my living room, and then walking way out from the wall with them still over their heads, just giggling and giggling because they thought that since they couldn't see us, we couldn't see them...nevermind that my draperies were now nearly horizontal across the room! I remember Maria banging on my piano with her chocolate-covered-fingers...chocolate and coke that I'd snuck and given her when Mary Beth wasn't looking ;o)........Before last week, I would have kept that little secret, but as Steven said in Maria's memorial service, if your kids want to eat butter, give 'em the whole stick because we don't know how long we have them with us. Amen to that.

I loved that sweet little cherub face. We will miss her, but she'll never be forgotten. And one day, we'll all be reunited in heaven because of the faith we share in the One true God--the God who adopted us all into His forever family.

In love, God predestined us to be adopted as sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with His pleasure and will.
–Ephesians 1:5

7 comments:

Sha Seig said...

Thanks Rhonda. Ya'll have been in my prayers and thoughts all week. So, so sad. I'm hoping your new bundle arriving later than expected is THE VERY REASON it has taken so long so that ya'll's joy can be all your friends' joy as well when it's most needed.
God's timing is perfect.
Love Ya-Sha

Talisa Cowden said...

I am moved to tears by your notes. I am so excited to meet "the new girl". Mercy I am filled to overflowing with joy for you and your boys! I can't wait to see what God is about to do in your lives and because of all of the people that you love, how it affects the rest of us as well!!!! You will have her painted up in pink in no time! What joy, joy, joy! I love yall and you are in my prayers.

Teresa said...

Rhonda and all,
Thanks for sending us the link to your wonderful blog. What an exciting time for you, and although I know you already believe that God's timing is perfect, you will again be convinced as Macy enters your lives. We're so excited for you!

Our church body has been praying for the Chapmans. We had a special service tonight kicking off a study of Randy Alcorn's HEAVEN and sang some of Steven's songs. I am especially praying for their son! Your family will be important to him as he heals.

Love and blessings to you! Teresa

Gigi said...

I am so glad to read about Miss Macy's mom's thoughts! We have been praying for the Chapmans, and so love and admire all of them. Keep the faith during "transition". Your Father knows the perfect timing for the birth cries! I will pray for you in the "waiting" room. lots of love,

Gigi

Kim said...

I'm so glad to hear this from you! Especially since you are personal friends of the Chapman's. I am encouraged by your words. Please let them know we are praying in Arkansas and are weeping with them...but with hope. I can not imagine their pain, but as Caleb said, God can heal their brother in a way that we all will like...and I pray He will do just that...as well as heal all the hearts who knew Maria personally. We will not forget!

shawnee said...

what a beautiful blog. I know it is hard but try to enjoy every moment of this time. Pray, daydream, plan,pack take it all in because this too shall pass. I often wish I could go back to China when we picked our precious Noah up but it is a time that has passed and only a memory. We are in the process of making many more. May the joy of the Lord be your strenghth. Love, Shawnee Wildey

Tracy Brothers said...

Rhonda - I love your blog! Amy L. and I were just talking about you a couple of days ago and wondering what was going on with Macy. I miss you a ton! Tracy Brothers