Sunday, August 9, 2009

Happy 100th Birthday, Granny!












Today is my grandmother's 100th birthday!!   Yesterday, we had her party and lots of out of town family came and we all had a "family reunion" of sorts.  Amazing that she's still going strong...well sorta.  My grandmother had 7 children and I don't know how many grand and great-grand-children, but a bunch! She's awesome and seems to survive almost anything. At her party, we kept asking her if she knew why "all these people are here," and she would laugh and say, "I'm 100!"

Ty leaves next week.  We leave on the 19th and move him in on the 20th!  Yay and boo and the same time!  I'm both incredibly excited for him, and incredibly sad to close the "childhood" chapter at the same time.  It's weird.  I know that parenting will never stop, but somehow this milestone seems so "final" for some reason.  Back in May, I posted that I haven't been overly emotional and that I was really surprised at how "strong" I felt.  Well, that has officially come to an end and I've been crying when the wind changes direction for the past couple of weeks!   August came and brought with it that looming sense of dread that I've anticipated for so long.  Yuck!  So if you know me and you ask me ANYthing about Tyler leaving, just get ready for the floodgates to pour.  I'm not gonna lie...I'm struggling a bit.

Well, off to cook dinner for some starving boys.  Macy Li is sitting on the kitchen island TEARING into some guacamole ("aboo-caboo" as she calls it).

Will post pictures later!

Hugs to all!

14 comments:

Kim said...

Happy 100th Grandmother...
THAT is AMAZING..
it is a true blessing that she is here..
as you know my Grandmother passed away on July 26th.. but every moment that I got to share with her was a blessing..
As for Tyler leaving..
I am here to cry with you.. every since Nick left on Monday.. you say his name and I am crying.. it is really tough.. I think it will be a little bit better once I can talk to him after bootcamp.. but still sooo hard..
Can't wait for some photos..
Blog slacker...LOL..
Missed ya..
Love ya..
Kim

Musings from Kim K. said...

I can't even imagine reaching 100 years. What an amazing milestone. Keep those tissues handy. Sounds like an emotional rollercoaster. I don't envy you. I'm hugging my 11 year old a little bit tighter tomorrow. I don't want her to grown up and leave home. Bring on the pictures! I'm needing another Macy Li fix.

Jodee said...

Happy Birthday to your Grandma! How exciting to celebrate 100 years with her!

I will be thinking about you this month. Hang in there!

Kim said...

WOW! Some big milestones for you. Hang in there!

Kim

Kim said...

Now those are some good genes ... what an incredible milestone! Cannot wait to see the family reunion photos! Happy 100th birthday to your Grandmother!!!
So great to hear from you. You have been heavy on my heart lately. I can only imagine the emotional roller coaster I would be feeling if it were John Austin heading to college. Know that you and your precious family are being covered in prayer as Tyler starts his college journey!
Love & Blessings from Hong Kong,
Kim

Jboo said...

Happy birthday to your sweet Grandmother!

Sending that first one off to college is just like sending them off to kindergarten -- exciting but so hard . . . for the Mom! Take it easy -- it'll be ok!

Janet

Shari U said...

Happy birthday, grandma! Good luck with the college transition and be sure to take lots of tissue for the trip!

Kim said...

ok.. I am back and NO photos..
LOL.
Had to come and give you some LOVE..
Hugs..

Andrea said...

WOW Happy Birthday Grandma! What a life! ;o) And prayers for you momma!

Shelly and Family said...

Wow - 100! That is truly amazing and beautiful! My grandmother is 92 and hanging in there as well...

What a beautiful celebration you all had to mark this wonderful birthday!

Ruby's Fairy Godmother said...

Oh how wonderful...100. My Sweet Grandmother went to be with the Lord on June 4th. Her 100th birthday would have been on Saturday the 9th....so she was one day older than your sweet Grandmother. 1909 was a very good year! Isn't it amazing to know someone that has seen so many changes in this world.
Norah

Kim said...

100 years....what an amazing life...I'm sure she has some great tales to tell from the years!

You will have to keep me updated on Samford...it is on Gracie's list. We have a friend from our church going there this fall. His name is Josh Henrich...very nice guy!

CC said...

100 is totally amazing!!

Hugs on the moves!

Jill said...

WOW!! Grandma looks GREAT and happy!
Miss Macy Li is dressed to the hilt once again!! LOL!
Thanks for the pics!
Hugs, Jill