Saturday, August 22, 2009

Off To College & NEMO

On Wednesday, we headed down to Birmingham, and on Thursday we moved our Tyler into his dorm-room at Samford University, and at the end of the day, said our good-byes and returned home. HARD! To say that it was a bittersweet day would be the biggest understatement. There was such a mixed bag of emotions...excitement for the journey ahead...ready for new challenges...Tyler's anxiousness to be on his own...our intense pride of the young man we'd raised..the sadness of knowing our home would never be the same...fear of the unknown...

Over the summer, Macy Li has fallen in love with the movie, "Finding Nemo" and I've found myself SO relating to it's themes as I've been preparing for (dreading) the "letting go" of Tyler. If you're familiar with the movie, you know it's theme is centered around a father's love for his son. It captures the fears that we parents have for our children's safety and how we would do anything to protect them.

Marlin, the overprotective clownfish, vows to protect his one and only son, Nemo, after his wife and all their (except the one-Nemo) eggs are attacked by a baracuda on the reef. The time comes for Nemo to head off for his first day of school, but his dad is really struggling with letting him go as he'd promised to protect him and never let anything happen to him. Although Nemo's plenty prepared and excited to be going to school, this joy is stiffled by his daddy's over-protectiveness. It's been a great reminder to me that letting go may be hard for the parent, but it's in the letting go that they're able to go and find their own way and become who God designed them to be.

Well, you know the story. Sure enough, Nemo rebels against his father's over-protectiveness, swims out to open sea and is captured and taken off to Sydney, where he's put in the aquarium in a dental office and learns many lessons from his friends there. The majority of the movie is focused around Marlin desperately searching for his lost son. As I listened to this movie over and over, it reminded me of how I would do anything to protect my children. Marlin's love for Nemo truly depicts this love, how no sacrifice would ever be too much for your child, and how a parent would go to any extreme to protect their most precious treasure.

While the two find themselves forced into situations beyond their control, Marlin and Nemo each grow up in many ways. Marlin discovers the freedom of fearless, adventurous living from his dingy and courageous friend, Dory. Meanwhile, Nemo's adventures build in him a spirit of confidence and competence. It's actually in their struggles, that they find life and the freedom "letting go" affords.

I truly believe the Lord gave me this movie again for "such a time as this" to gently remind me that the "safety of the anemone" is really an illusion. However, it's only when we venture out into the open seas, into the unknown, that we learn to live by faith...and it's there that we find the Father's gentle, leading Hand.

My last words to Tyler as we drove off that campus Thursday night was a line from the movie, where Marlin finally sets Nemo free and tells him, "I love you son, now go have an adventure!"

Move-in day highlights:

Dad doing the dad-thing


Moms' last trip out in the downpour!

Already studying?  Not!


Ironing out "wireless" issues...


The BEST roomie and suite-mates!


They're in...we did it!


Those snacks ought to last about 2 days!


Gettin' organized!


About to say our good-byes...


Home for the next year...


Here comes good-bye...


Proud dads and their boys...


Opportunity!


Truth!

20 comments:

Jill said...

K, I was all good UNTIL I saw the note you left for Tyler on the dry erase board....

You both have raised a great boy! He will do great at college!!!

Praying for you!

Hugs, Jill

Kim said...

Oh ... I've got the ugly cry going! You all have been lifted up in prayer from Hong Kong.
We love and miss you all.
We will be coming "home" for Christmas break and plan to schedule all our check ups at Kemp Dental. Promise you will come by with sweet Macy Li!

Love & Blessings,
Kim

Jodee said...

Rhonda -- Wow! What a hard day! I can't even imagine sending a child off to college yet! I am already dreading it after reading your post!

Hang in there!

P.S. Tyler's suite looks soooo nice! I am lovin' that plaid quilt!

Courtney said...

Good luck with this new adjustment. I am sure everyone will do fine!

stephanie Gilmartin said...

Jill, I have been following your blog for a while and it is my favorite. Your family is absolutely beautiful and you can tell how close all of you. I love how all three of your boys are crazy about Macy. Your writing is spectacular, funny, candid and real. We are waiting to get our referral for Maggie on Monday (4 years of waiting) and we have our little sweet Molly who is 6.5 and starting 1st grade on Monday. I just wanted to tell you that your blog is very enjoyable and your latest post brought so many tears because I know I will be there soon. Best wishes and keep the writing coming, you are very talents.
Stephanie Gilmartin

Musings from Kim K. said...

What a bitter sweet day. Great pictures and such a touching note at the end. I can see why Nemo has a special place in your lives right now. Hugs.

Dana said...

Rhonda,
I'm praying for those sweet boys...God goes before them!

On a side note, I was an R.A. in Smith...Room 301. When I was there, every room was pink! My, how things have changed in twenty years!

Again, we promise to pray for those boys!

Kim said...

Wow! I can't even imagine being in your shoes since I have one that just started 1st greade and one in Preschool but I hope to send them off as gracefully as you! You have an amazing fatih in God and it is joy to read your posts!

Have a wonderful Sunday!

jill said...

the note on the door got me too! looks like he's going to have an amazing year! hope mama is okay. loves to macy li and her brothers!!

Kim said...

LOVE IT..
Great post..
I am sitting here crying with you.. only becuase I know OH SOOO WELL what it feels like to see your baby boy go on an ADVENTURE..
I am here for you girly..
Love ya..

Anonymous said...

Loved the final note to your son. What a tear jerker. Also, I am loving the plaid comforter. Where did you det that if you don't mind telling.

Good luck with your adjustment period. God is good ALL the time.

Amie

Rhonda said...

To Amie:

I bought the bedding from Pottery Barn. He liked it because it was colorful, but still manly. I also bought him olive, mongrammed sheets from there, which he told me was "gay." HAHAHA!

~Rhonda

Lori said...

Oh what a BEAUTIFUL post! I love how you related it to Nemo. Precious! I hope you all are doing well. I hope and pray your son has a wonderful first year of college.

I'm going to send you an email. Hope that is okay.

Praying for you and your family! Hugs!
Lori

Stacy F. from Arkansas said...

Rhonda,
I have been your blog since your adoption and always enjoy it so much! I live in Searcy, Arkansas..my kids also go to Kanakuk, my youngest daughter, 17, was a "Kanaka" at Kauai this summer. Anyway, my oldest son, Franklin, just left for college yesterday and boy o boy is that one of the hardest things I have ever done in my life. We moved him in yesterday..he is going to Ouachita Baptist in Arkadelphia. Thanks so much for the reminders, because right now I would love to go and get him and bring him right back here with me:)
Stacy Featherston

Unknown said...

What great photos and what neat memories you helped make! I know you are proud!

Jboo said...

Whew -- what an adventure it is taking your first son to college! He's going to have a great year -- he has such a wonderful family! Take care.

Janet

Anonymous said...

You have no idea how badly I needed to be reminded of NEMO. Thanks Rhonda
Tosha

Kenmore Social said...

This was a great way to tell the story of going to college from the parents POV. Thanks for sharing!

Kim said...

I loved reading this! I can relate with you...although we still have a year before Gracie's time. I love all the pictures! It is an exciting time...in a sad kind of way. Praying for you.

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

Hello Rhonda...

Yeah, I'm supposed to doing a bit of cleaning around here today...but sitting here looking at your adorable family instead. Ever since my daughter was a little girl I've put YMLY (Your Mama Loves You) on everything.......lunch sacks...everything I made for her and every note.... :-)

Warm blessings,
Spencer