Sunday, July 20, 2008

Beijing, Day Three

Today was amazing, beginning with the church service. I couldn't believe I was actually in a "theatre" (by order of the "police station," they are not allowed to call it a church) where the Word of God was being taught, and people were worshipping freely in CHINA(!), however it was only because this place was designated for non-Chinese citizens. I believe most were tourists. Not even our tour guide, Maggie, was able to go in. She sat out in the bus and waited for us. Worship songs were sung in both Mandarin, as well as English. The message was delivered in English, then translated into Mandarin. I've never been to church where I was frisked, had my bags searched, had the wand thingy, had my bottled water confiscated, and had to show my passport in order to be allowed in.

After church, we were taken to a Jade Factory, where we saw many beautiful hand-carved works of art. The men carve; the women polish....hmmm, sounds familiar. ;) Also, we went and saw how the Chinese cloissinne is made, and had another chinese lunch. After lunch, we went to The Great Wall. Thankfully, the skies were almost clear, so we could see a long way. When we started up, there were 2 paths you could take..."Left" was the steepest and hardest to climb, but there was hardly anyone going. "Right" was not as difficult, but most of the crowd was going that way. Well, of course, we chose the "Road Less Traveled!" And the air is thin! Our ears were popping enough just on the bus ride up the mountains to where we began our climb. Where there were actually steps, they were very high. Other parts were just a VERY steep walk. Let's put it this way, if someone was only 5 or 6 steps ahead of you, they were ABOVE you. The pictures below do NOT do it justice....We had a great time and were in awe of the scale, history, and the scenery you could see from the highest point that we climbed.

We finished off the day with another traditional Chinese Peking Duck dinner. Another great day!

A funny note: Peyton now has 2 new buddies from our travel group, Eli and Mason....."Eli and Peyton!" And Mason's nickname is "Mater," so they are "Mater and Tater!"

NOW, to WHAT WE'RE HERE FOR: "Gan Li Ming!" This day is over. Phillip and Peyton are snoozing away, and this very "pregnant" mom is pacing the hotel floor, labor pains are very close together, I'm packing my little bag of baby stuff for the "hospital," and wondering what tomorrow will hold... Will she like us? Will she hate us? Will she scream her little head off? Will I be in a puddle before we even get there? How long will it take us to get that first giggle out of her? Is she well? Is she sick? Will her caretaker grieve as she hands her to us? Will we get it all captured on video? What do we do next? I'm kind of a wreck at the moment....Exhausted from the past few days, but wide awake with wonder. We have to check out and head for the airport early in the morning. We've been told that, upon arriving in Jiangxi, we will probably be taken straight from the airport to The Civil Affairs office of Nanchang, where we will receive our babies. We don't know yet if the government is going to allow us a visit to her orphanage... but boy do we all want to go! We plan to beg tomorrow.

Well, that's it for now...here is some of our day today:



11 comments:

Daddy's Girls said...

I was at church when you called this morning, I hated to miss your call! I know you are boiling over with excitement and I hope to talk to you tonight (morning for you) before you board the plane to go and get little Macy Li! Your day looked AWESOME!!! I know that tomorow will be the BEST!!!!!!!! We are all praying to ya'll and I know little Macy Li will know her Mommy as soon as she lays eyes on you, God formed her for you and Phillip! Praise Jesus for all BLESSINGS! I love you all! Anxiously awaiting your next call, Aunt Sissy

Unknown said...

How Great is our God! HE has brought you thus far to bless you beyond imagination. What a wonderful day it looks like the three of you had. I pray today for your precious girl. Her little life is about to change and may the Lord be near to her. May she embrace her family with a great acceptance and love and if she doesn't may the Lord's healing hand fall upon her and give her great security in your love and soother her heart. Praying for your family today.

Courtney said...

So happy to hear all is going well. Thanks for all the updates. I am really excited for your next post. I am hoping Macy Li will be in your arms..........Congrats !!! You won't remember how long and painful the wait was once she is placed in your arms. (((HUGS))) Courtney

Kim said...

Glad to hear things are going well.. you got some amazing pictures of the Great Wall...
I am sooo excited for you.. I am sure she will be fine..
Can't wait ..
Next stop is Macy Li...
HOORAY..

Jboo said...

Sounds like you are having a great trip! Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers for a smooth meeting with your little girl. Such an exciting and nerve-racking time. Take care and enjoy every moment.

Janet

Anonymous said...

Love your pictures and blog. I am amazed at how God is showing himself to you all and us through this process. I am so excited for you! Today is the day!! I can hardly wait till you get back so that Grayson and I can meet Macy Li. China looks amazing, Spencer spent a month there last summer and loves it. Praying that all goes wonderfully. Cindy

Gigi said...

"I will be still and know you are God" was the verse I saw on the screen at your church service. May you feel, see and know that God is God, in this time of receiving Macy Li! How sweet to hear of the bonding among your group, as Tater and Mater, along with their families, gather their "spuds". So excited for all of you!

Anonymous said...

Hey! I think it's 4:30am China time and I am dying to know if you have MacyLi! We just got back from Kanakuk w/ Rach and we cannot wait to see her in your arms! It's so unbelievable to imagine that Jesus made her to fit perfectly in yours and Phillip's arms. WoW! He must really be delighting in seeing ya'll finally experiencing this gift. I miss you greatly and can't wait to talk. I love you forever . . .ang!

Jodee said...

I am enjoying your updates! I can't wait until tomorrow! I know she will be the perfect addition to your family!

Anonymous said...

RHONDA,PHILLIP,AND TATER, I WAS IN CHURCH THIS MORNING AND DAN SCOTT WAS TALKING ABOUT THE CIRCLE OF PROTECTION HE HAS PUT AROUND HIS PEOPLE. THIS IS SOOO TRUE!!!! PRAISE HIM FOR ALL HE HAS BROUGHT YOU THROUGH. I CAN HARDLY WAIT TO SEE THE PICTURES THAT WILL BE COMING OUR WAY SOON. GOD TRULY HAS BLESSED US WITH THE VOICE OF A CHILD CRYING IN THE WILDERNESS TO BE BROUGHT HOME. SEE YOU AT THE AIRPORT WITH BELLS AND BANGLES. LOVE YOU, GOGGIN:)

Dawn said...

oh my goodness!! I can't wait. Mon called last night and her--Goggin--and granny had been to eat and gone to Target.!! The last words she told me were that you would be getting your "sweet girl" about 2-4am our time. I woke up at 3:00am in "wonder" of what she was like--how you were feeling.!!??? I am sooooo excited for your family.! This will be "Macy Li's" first Christmas with our family! yay!!!! May God keep you all safe.
Love you guys! Cousin Dawn