Friday, July 18, 2008

Ni Hao from China!!!

We made it--One giant leap closer to Macy Li! We arrived in Beijing about 5 hours ago and now we're here in our hotel room (it's 7pm here), It's a strange feeling to leave home at 7:45am on Thursday, and to arrive here at 2:00pm on Friday, and it was daylight the whole way! Well, Peyton is conked out across the BRICK (yes, the beds are bricks!---larger than "twin-size," but smaller than "full-size" and rock hard!), Phillip has run up to the grocery to grab a few things, and since I know our family is chomping at the bit to hear or see some news, I thought you might like to see a few pictures below.

First of all, the long flight from D.C. was great--just long. Thanks to my physician friend, Reggie A., I was able to sleep like a baby on the way ;)...It's so surreal, sitting here looking out the window at the skyscrapers and listening to the sounds of the hustle and bustle below. It has a very New York kind of feeling, car horns and all. Today is rather hazy, but the city of Beijing has definitely put it's best face on for these upcoming olympics! Everything is spotless, and well manicured. Driving through the city, it was cool to see so many Chinese people on their bikes and scooters, women under their umbrellas, to hear the little Asian tunes you think of when you think about China. The Chinese people we've met have been so kind and gracious. Before we came, we were told that we'd be stared at, and it is so true! As we were leaving the Beijing airport, this young man came bolting up to us with his camera and was so giddy with excitement to take our pictures! Then, he had another guy take his picture with us. He kept bowing and doing his hands together. Then he ran off showing everyone our pictures on his camera ...We felt like celebrities! hahaha...

In a little while, after Peyton has rested, we're going to venture out in the city to find some dinner and take a taxi to see some of the olympic village sites, the "bird nest," etc...It's supposedly a sight to see at night.

Anyway, here are a few pictures from the trip over and sights from the bus window as we came from the airport to the hotel.

15 comments:

Amy Lafayett said...

So glad to hear that you all made it there safely. What a time difference! So glad that you will be able to post from China. It will be great to keep up with what all you are doing. . . can't wait to see the pics and for Monday!!

Dawn said...

Yay!!! you are there and safe! I am sooooooo excited for your family. Goggin and I were talking about everything yesterday and I just started crying out of happiness for you.!!!! This has been a long time coming. A "little girl"!!! :o) I look forward to coming to work everyday and reading your blog. May God bless you guys. See you at the airport when you get back with that sweet girl!!
Cousin Dawn

Unknown said...

I don't even know you and I am about to jump out of my skin with excitement for you guys!

I thank God for safe travels. I pray that the remaining trip will be safe and that the days until you get your PRECIOUS baby will fly by!
May God bless you on this adventure.

Christi in Mississippi

RicoTN said...

Greetings from Tennessee! Thank you for sharing this awesome journey with us. I am so happy, proud and excited for you all. I can't wait to meet my new baby cousin!
Love always and God bless,
Noriko

Kim said...

Love the pictures...
Looks like you have had a Great Time sooo far...
I am sooo excited for you..
you are getting closer...

Anonymous said...

What a great adventure! You are so good at recording it all. Maci will have fun reading it someday! I'm about to jump out of my skin with excitement for you! My prayers are continually going up for you!
Have FUN
Be safe!
Praise God!
Connie S

Kim said...

I'm thankful for your safe trip! Enjoy your time there. I can't wait to see Macy Li in your arms!

Anonymous said...

Tater, Make sure you don't eat anything that still has it eyes on it. And tell your Dad to take off the Sox hat. Everyone knows you and I are the true Sox fans. Glad everyone made it ok. Be careful. Uncle Bump

Anonymous said...

Greetings from France to a happy american family.You have come a long way from login to referral, but things are so speeding up since.
Looking forward for the gotcha day pics.

Anonymous said...

I don't know you but came across your blog. Our daughter is from Jiangxi also. She's almost 3 now. My 18 yo daughter is currently in Nanchang working with the older orphans for 2 weeks through Bring Me Hope. She loved Nanchang so much that she wanted to go back. Make sure you go to the People's Park. So much fun!Congratulations on your daughter!

Cheri
www.ourjourneyeast.net

Anonymous said...

HEY! So glad ya'll got there safely, we have been praying for you constantly. Kristen and I keep counting ahead 13 hours to figure out what time it is there. It won't be long til you get your girl! You must feel like you're having an out of body experience. I love ya'll so much! Tell Geek he's doing good w/ the pics! Talk soon, love you tons. . . ang!

Daddy's Girls said...

Miss ya'll already, I had so much fun packing ya'll this weekend and now you are there and you will have your hands on little Macy Li in approximately 50+ hours- I am beside myself with excitement! I know you all are exploring the Great Wall etc. today and I pray that you will have safe travels. It is 8:30 AM in China and I imagine ya'll all are on a bus...wish I could be a fly on the wall- I know Tater is grinning up a storm and I hope that he is feeling better! Thanks for calling me when ya'll arrived, feel free to call again this afternoon (or AM for us)---we do not mind the wake up call! I love ya'll- Sissy

Jodee said...

So glad to see you arrived safe and sound. I enjoyed the pictures of your first day!

Courtney said...

So happy to hear you have arrived. Enjoy your time. I can not wait to see pictures of you holding Macy Li. Congrats. Courtney

sara starnes said...

Greetings to the three of you from the Starnes'. Love journeying with you this way and can't read and see the pictures without crying with joy. Keep it up. Caleb has been away from all of us for 2 1/2 weeks and has been a lot for him, but building precious memories with his cousins. He will be home the 22nd and will love seeing Tator in China :) Thanks so much for sharing your precious journey with us! Have a blast! love ya!
The Starnes family