Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Last Day in Guangzhou

Oh, how bittersweet it is to say that this wraps up our time in China...

We have fallen so in love with this country, the homeland of our precious Li Ming. These amazing people have shown us nothing but warmth, love, and hospitality. The people of China live under some very difficult circumstances, but their spirits do not show it. We have learned much from them, and are truly humbled to have lived among them, if even for such a short time. We will be forever grateful for the GIFT we've been given by this country. She is "exceedingly, abundantly above all we had hoped or imagined!"

We have witnessed God's Hand like never before. The minute details that we've been praying for over the last 3 years have ALL been answered beyond our wildest dreams. We BELIEVED GOD, and the mountains moved! We stepped out in faith, and He led us every step. I remember my fear back in the summer of 2005 when I was wrestling with God over whether or not we were to pursue this...and I remember how I told God that He really didn't want us ordinary little ragamuffins to do such an extraordinary thing as adopt....and I remember how I prayed, and wrestled this all out with God...and I remember that Sunday morning, August 21st, 2005, while sitting in the church service when I clearly knew that this was what God was calling our family to do...and I remember going to the end of the 11th chapter of Hebrews and writing: "Hebrews 11:41 (adding my own last verse) By faith, Phillip and Rhonda believed God when He called them to adopt..." I knew He had ordained the time and I was sure of what He'd called us to do.

Today, almost 3 years later, I sit here at my computer at 1 am in China while the most angelic little cherub on the planet sleeps securely 4 feet away. She is no longer an orphan. She is ours'...forever. She has a mommy, a daddy, 3 awesome brothers, aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents, and a whole community of people who have hit their knees interceding for her since before she was even conceived. In just a few hours, she'll board a plane headed to the United States of America where she'll be welcomed and embraced by these people who will love her and pray for her, and ultimately show her Jesus. I am in awe. I will forever be in awe.

The extraordinary was accomplished, but it was THROUGH us; not BY us. This is His story; not ours'. We're simply the vessels He's using to accomplish His purposes. God's heart is FOR the orphan. If you are praying about adopting, please e-mail us and let us share with you some of what we've learned in this process. We have been stretched, and we have discovered a deeper love we'd have never known without this journey.



A couple notes about the pictures above: Several are just random shots of us today. One is Peyton standing in front of a Uighur Restaurant. This is a muslim people group in Northwest China. Our new friends, Lesli and Rusty, took us there for lunch today and it was a hit! They've had the privilege of spending some time with these people and it was fun to hear Rusty order our food in their native tongue. This has definitely been an educational trip. Another picture is of all 4 of us standing in front of the U.S. Consulate today. You can see in our hands the MOST precious packet of papers, the famous "Brown Envelope" (all you China adoptive families know, don't you?!). This is the packet of info. we hand over to the immigration people in the U.S. customs tomorrow when we land in Chicago. Without this, little Miss Li Ming can't enter our country. At the consulate, we all raised our right hands and swore that all our information was true and correct....They wouldn't allow cameras of any kind in there, so it was a bummer not to have that moment captured for Macy Li to see one day, so we just took this shot as we left the building. That appt. finished up our official business here in China. Tomorrow, she flies home on her Chinese passport as "Gan Li Ming." She becomes a U.S. citizen when she passes through Customs in Chicago! We can hardly wait to show her off to you when we get home. We'll be arriving into Nashville at 9:30pm on United Flight #7884 from Chicago.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

GLORIOUS,AMAZING AND BEAUTIFUL PICTURS. YOU GO BIG DADDY!!!!!!
HURRY,HURRY,HURRY HOME. LOVE YOU, GOGGIN:)

Talisa Cowden said...

Of all the sweet pictures, being an army brat, I just drink up the picture of her holding her own American flag. I love your joy! Thank you so much for including us on your journey. I don't know what I'll do Thursday morning. My boss is so impressed that I've been getting here so early. He thinks I'm here out of dedication. He doesnt know my computer at home is down.

Just one more "sleep" till you come home! I'll pray for your safe journey.

Hey, is it going to be crowded when I sleep in yall's room? You know I am dying to be where she is!

Love you,
Tish

Anonymous said...

Sure do wish we could be at the airport waiting with the rest, but will be thinking about the party that awaits! I know it will be awesome... Hopefully, soon we can make a trip to Nashville and visit with little Ms. Macy Li and family. I have enjoyed your journey in China thur the pictures so much.

Love Jackie
Memphis, TN.

Anonymous said...

We've never met, but it has been my privilege to follow your wonderful journey from afar. A friend who also recently adopted from China kept a journal like this one and it's a fabulous way to witness about God's work. You are a wonderful family who God chose especially for her. What a blessing for all.
Godspeed.

Gwen Oatsvall said...

i have enjoyed watching your journey in China and i knew it would be life changing and a miracle ... you are all blessed and i can't wait to see what God does w/your family to shine light on the kingdom !!!

i will be at the airport !!!!

Mommy said...

I have been out of town most of your trip vacationing with our family. I am so excited that you are now on your way home! She is beautiful and I know you can't wait for that first photo as a family of 6. Prayers for safe travels.

Linda said...

Macy Li is just so precious and it has been such fun to follow your journey. We think now we know you! I would encourage our Little Joshua to keep track of her and her phone number but I think she is going to have an awful lot of "body guards". I look forward to checking in on her now and then and watching her grow.

Rhonda, you are a great blogger! I really enjoy reading your entries.

Joshua's Grandma

Kim said...

I'm so thankful we get to be blessed by God working through us in the great gift of adoption...it is a journey that is like no other...and God is in every step of the way!

Your posts have encouraged me...I have been a little on the scaredy cat side of traveling to China...you made it sound so fun and easy! One day it will be our turn...but at times it seems the end is no where in sight...you must know that feeling!

Just know we are praying for you all! Have a joyous reunion with everyone!!!

Trish said...

I've loved following your journey, thank you for sharing! You are in for so much more fun with your little one once you get her home, girls are so sweet and so much fun!!!!!
Trish

Anonymous said...

With Rhonda's gift of writing and Phillip's gift w/ the camera, you all have so beautifully given God the glory for HIS amazing gift of Macy Li. What a journey. What a blessing. HIS story must be shared as a source of encouragement to others and a living example of HIS faithfulness.
Rhonda you have put into words exactly how we feel about Sam & Lucy's adoption. God was in every detail. Our lives will never be the same.
We will be praying for your safe travels home!
Love & Blessings,
Kim & Tyler Miller

Deb said...

Rhonda....thanks so much for sharing your journey to Li Ming! I feel the same way about our Sophie...."what if" we had not answered God's calling?!? We have been so blessed beyond words and can't wait to get back to China for Sophie's Mei Mei! We feel the same way about China! Safe travels to you all on just the beginning of this new and exciting journey!

Anonymous said...

I have loved following your trip every day and cannot wait to meet your precious daughter!! Thanks for taking us all along with you. Much love from all the Kroekers,
Suzanne

Anonymous said...

So looking forward to meeting your new little addition. So happy for you and glad everything has run smoothly. Thank you for sharing the details of your life and I have so enjoyed reading every word of your blogs. I am continually praying for you! Brandy