Thursday, June 12, 2008

A divine encounter?



This afternoon, Tyler and I had to go to the dreaded Driver's License place because my license is just about to expire, and secondly because we dropped Tyler's in the lake on Saturday. We both would have preferred a root canal to going there because...well y'all know the routine at those places.

Anyway, I'm sitting there waiting (something I've become an expert at lately--ha!) and I'm pouring over my referral packet of information about Miss "Gan Li Ming" that's mostly written in Chinese characters. Of course it's "Greek to me," but I just keep staring at it like I'm going to have some sort of sudden epiphany and be able to miraculously translate Mandarin into English. I don't know, I just can't stop staring at it. Anyway, I look up and spot an Asian man across the room. Oh yeah, the wheels start to turn. Now any of you who know me, know that I am pretty proficient at conducting "Man-on-the-street-interviews" with just about anybody who arouses my curiosity. I've been known to embarrass many a friend, son and husband doing this. So Tyler starts, "Mom, PLEASE, don't do it. You can hear a pin drop in here." Undeterred, I grab that pink folder and head across the room. Tyler pulls his hat down over his face and sinks down into his chair. Everyone looks at me. On a mission, I walk up to the sweet angel, ask him if he's Chinese, and YEP he is! I KNEW it! My heart starts to race. I ask him if he READS Chinese. YEP he does! I KNEW it! I ask him if he'd translate "a little something" for me. YEP, he'd be glad to. I glance back and now everyone in the room is REALLY listening, and Tyler is horrified! I open up my folder and show him the new love of my life, and say, "See that sweet thang (yes 'thang'; I don't say 'thing'). Well, I'm going to Jiangxi to get her in a few weeks. I don't know jack about her except that I CRAVE her. But this folder "knows" about her, and I'm waiting on a translation, but since you're here,...." Well, this precious man smiles the sweetest smile this side of heaven, and tells me it'd be his pleasure. Thank You, Jesus!! I turn around, look at Tyler with that "I-told-you-so-expression," but he still is trying to disown me. However, everyone else in the room is now just about on the edge of their seats, waiting with anticipation, for what he'll tell me...He pours through the pages and says, roughly, "Your baby (Yes, he said MY BABY) was found on July 8th, 2007 on the steps in front of a small Social Welfare Institution by the police. They estimated her birthday to have been June 30th, making her only about 8 days old. She was found at sunrise, hence the name "Li Ming" because it means something like "at dawn or sunrise." She appeared healthy and beautiful. She stayed at this SWI until Nov. 7, 2007, when she was transferred to Jianxi SWI in Jiangxi Province." He told me a lot of other details, but I was so astonished that now I can't even remember them all. I was patting him on his shoulder, saying, "Oh my, you don't know how you're blessing me! You are giving me the greatest blessing! Oh, you just don't know..." Again, I glance over to Tyler and he is bug-eyed, and giving me the "Cut it off " motion with the fingers across the neck. But all the total strangers give me the nod...THEY are dying to hear more! It was great! He interprets all the medical lab results, info. about immunizations she'd had, that she was HIV negative, that she appeared very healthy, etc. He told me that she is a deep sleeper and that she sleeps approximately 7 to 7 !! PRAISE JESUS!! He said she eats rice cereal, powdered milk, and fish soup. Yummy! He tells me that she loves the outdoors....that she loves and responds to music...that she is attached to her caretaker...that she smiles and responds to "LiMing" knowing it is her name...and a whole bunch of other things. Again, I'm crying and he's smiling and the whole room has forgotten about their miserable wait. It was the best visit to the Driver's License place I've ever had!

"Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it." Hebrews 13:2

19 comments:

Thomas bunch said...

Hi Rhonda,
I'm a friend of Gwen's, and I am SO EXCITED for you right now! Congratulations, God's richest blessings on your family near and far and soon all together. Can't wait to see you bring her home!
Rose

Chris and Lindsey Wheeler said...

Rhonda,
WHAT A GIFT!!! That is amazing....the Lord is so good....I love His surprises. I can't wait to meet your bundle of cuteness!!!

Lindsey

Rhonda said...

Oh, what a precious gift!!

God is so good!

Anonymous said...

Pretty cool how the Lord put you both in the same waiting room at the same time. Such valuable info you have received about your precious baby!

Cindi said...

Precious! Can I relate to the comment about "craving her??" YES!!
We'll have them soon!

RamblingMother said...

I would have done the same thing.

Carla said...

What a precious gift, and I so would have done the exact same thing!

jennifer said...

Your boys, and your new daughter are just adorable. I found you through Gwen and wanted to congratulate you on your newest blessing!

Jodee said...

Oh my goodness! She sounds PERFECT! Congratulations!!!

Amy Lafayett said...

I love how God orchestrates these things. So sweet.

joyof3boys said...

Congratulations to all of you. Macy is so blessed to be a part of your family. I know you are thrilled to have a daughter.

Gwen Oatsvall said...

ok, that is hilarious ... i would have done the exact same thing ... you know you are going to have to write for my book when you get back ... i can't wait to see her in your arms !!!!

Lori @ Five of My Own said...

Rhonda, that is the most adorable story ever. I too am the mother of three boys and adopting from China. Like you I talk to EVERYONE and my 17 year reacts the very same way! I LOVE hoe excited your boys are about thier new sister. Good luck-we'll be cheering you on all the way to China!!!

Lynn said...

What a blessing! Yes, I would have done the same thing!

Mommy said...

I would have done the exact same thing! Divine? Divine, indeed! Thank you Lord for little blessings.

Mommy

Do said...

Adoption is a emotional rich and God inspired story. The Lord brings thousand miles away people together and a orphan has found a family .
Wishing you happy moments to come with your cute daughter !

Lori said...

I saw your link from the RQ website. I would have done the same thing with my referral pages. That's your baby! You have to know that stuff now! Oh, you had me in tears. God bless you on your journey. She's beautiful.

The McMurphy's
LID 12-11-06

Montee said...

Isn't that amazing how God had you in just the right place to find that man to translate! That was a good day for all at the driver's license place. They all witnessed a blessing. I often embarrass my 16 year old son too but it's fun. I can't embarrass my 19 year old daughter at all.

Tracy Brothers said...

Oh Rhonda! I love when God does that! Kudos to you for not being afraid to approach that angel! I'm still getting caught up on your blog tonight but I got your comment and we would LOVE to see you. We could give your boys some girlie practice!